My worry was a bit misplaced. The anticipation that comes with firing a load in the kiln is fun and nerve-wracking at the same time. I kept peeking into the little hole in the top to see if I could make anything out. I have to look when it is hot but not up to its final temp because once it gets that hot the only thing I can see is a bright, bright orange color, the color of fire. I carefully snapped a picture of what I could see through the hole and I didn't like what I saw. My heart sunk but it was a good warning to get myself psyched to open the kiln to mayhem.
The lower shelf, with the mushroom stems, fired without mishap but the upper shelf - WHOA! Was there an explosion!!
Here is the bottom shelf with a few shards from the top shelf.
All was not lost and I quickly brushed a top glossy glaze on the pieces that needed it and also made some test tiles of my new glazes. Here is the result, some of the spoon rests completed along with a couple mushroom tops.
I'm looking for a good vibrant red glaze but red is a tough color to produce without lead. Here is a test tile of the red I have right now. The second picture is of a test I did with the red and then glazed over with a crackle effect glaze. Pretty cool, I think.
So, I've shed a few tears for lost pieces, lost time producing but I've learned a lesson or two and will keep playing in the mud!