Thursday, September 18, 2008

I laughed in total disbelief

Okay. I have to have my say, I guess. I'm being egged on by something I received in the mail today from the Republican National Committee (RNC - which should stand for REAL NUT CASES).

Let me highlight some of the lines in this letter that ridiculously treats me as if I was once 'one of them.' I am not, and probably never will be, a registered Republican. Democrats get me by default because we don't have a strong third party that represents my 'anti-tax, personal freedoms' beliefs. Personal freedoms win out.

This letter starts off:
"I don't want to believe you've abandoned the Republican Party, but I have to ask...Have you given up?"

Now, I ask you, what kind of opening line is that? Is it meant to summon up feelings of guilt by using the word 'abandoned?' And are they thinking that they might catch me a bit off-guard, confusing me, as in "Oh, yeah. That's right. I'm Republican. I forgot." And how can I give up something that I never had? More words to instill guilt.

It goes on to say that the REAL NUT CASES haven't received my membership renewal and 'our' party depends on it. (Hmmm. Depends...John McCain...depends...yes, old men can have that problem, too.)

And here's the part that got me laughing out loud, very loud, because it solidified my definition of the acronym RNC: "So I am surprised and concerned especially because I know how generously you supported President Bush and the RNC in the past. You helped to advance our vision for America and elect Republicans at all levels of government."

Is there someone out in the world posing as me and doing silly Republican things? Because this Karen E. has NEVER liked the slur-speeched, seemingly uneducated fool we call our President and NEVER given him or other Republicans so much as a penny to forward their right-wing, 'let me tell you how to live your life' agenda. Paula Poundstone had a very funny line on the radio show "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me." She said, "The value of the dollar has sunk so low we can now put Bush's picture on it!" You go, Paula!

Another thing in this letter I find quite amusing is the fact that they will not use McCain's name.
"Your generous financial assistance and active involvement are more important than ever as we work to elect a Republican president and Congress."

The underlying interpretation of using the words 'Republican president' instead of 'John McCain' is obvious. They know that John McCain is nothing more than George Bush. 'So let's focus on Republicans as a whole instead of reminding people of McCain.' Even John McCain knows that he needed someone to upstage him because he wasn't doing well on his own; that's why he picked Sarah Palin - to draw attention away from himself since he doesn't have much to offer. And we see that that one is backfiring as people realize that she is not qualified for the job, especially being one heartbeat away from the presidency.

But they do use Obama's name. "There is so much at stake. The Democrats are determined to put a liberal like Barack Obama in the White House, expand their narrow majorities in the U.S. House and Senate, and push our country to the Left with their agenda of high taxes, big government and weakened national security."

Let's start with their claim of Obama's supposed 'agenda of high taxes' and 'big government.' Here is a quote from two writers from the Wall Street Journal, Jason Furman and Austan Goolsbee. You can read the whole article here.

Both candidates for president have proposed tax plans. But they are starkly different in their approaches and their economic impact. Sen. Obama is focused on cutting taxes for middle-class families and small businesses, and investing in key areas like health, innovation and education. He would do this while cutting unnecessary spending, paying for his proposals and bringing down the budget deficit. In contrast, John McCain offers what would essentially be a third Bush term, with his economic speeches outlining $3.4 trillion of tax cuts over 10 years beyond what President Bush has already proposed and geared even more to high-income earners. The McCain plan would lead to deficits the likes of which we have never seen in this country. It would take money from the middle class and from future generations so that the wealthy can live better today.

Back to this letter I received. I heard a story on NPR yesterday that told about another low, dirty tactic the RNC and McCain are using to confuse voters. It was a mailing to registered Democratic voters in Florida that included a card labeled "[Republican] Party Affiliation Voter Registration Card." In an attached letter, McCain asks recipients to update the enclosed card — and to contribute to his campaign. According to the NPR story (read the whole story here), they could find no Republicans who received this mailing, only Democrats.

All these tactics seem desperate to me. I'm hoping people can see the 'littleness' in John McCain. We've lived through 8 years of this type of person; I hope we're all smart enough not to let it happen again.

No comments: